You make sure your home and family are prepared and safe during hurricane season, but don’t forget about your vehicles! Below are some tips on how to prepare and keep your car safe before, during and after a hurricane.
Before a hurricane
- Make sure your gas tank is full and your battery is charged.
- Check your car’s oil, wipers and tires.
- Take photos of your vehicle inside and out before a storm hits to make it easier to file any damage claims. Put all ownership, registration and insurance papers in a waterproof container.
- Have a go-bag ready with essentials and keep it in a waterproof container or bag in your car. Make sure it includes water, food, extra clothing, flashlights, physical maps and car chargers for any electronic items.
During a hurricane
- Park your car in a garage facing out for easy exit. If you have one, protect your car with a cover. Don’t forget to close the sunroof and all windows of your car.
- If you don’t have a garage, consider parking your car close to a building which can offer at least partial protection from high winds or on the highest ground away from any trees and utility poles.
- Avoid parking under trees or power lines that can be blown down.
After a hurricane
- Check your vehicle – Once the storm is over thoroughly evaluate its condition. If there’s damage, take pictures of the car and compare the “before” and “after” versions.
- If you plan to drive after a tropical storm or a hurricane has swept across your neighborhood, drive only if necessary and avoid flooded roads and washed-out bridges.
- If you have to drive after a hurricane, do not drive through standing water. You do not know how deep it is and if there are dangerous objects hidden under water.
- Watch for fallen objects, downed power lines and weakened walls, bridges, roads and sidewalks.
Here at Payne Auto Group we want to make sure that you are protected from any storm! Contact Payne Insurance to make sure you are covered and protected for you and your family. Car damaged? No worries contact Payne Collision and we will help you with that as well! At Payne Auto Group you’ll always be a part of our family!